Thread: harbor 1?30!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 08:35 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Look at it this way: once a person decides for sure they want to make knives they need a good grinder and that's about a $2000 out lay. Your 1x30 was probably under $50. That indicates a huge difference in the type of performance you can expect from those two grinders.

Bottom line is, lots of guys try to start out with a 1x30 (I did) but, honestly, you're better off using files and sand paper. The 1x30 has no power, won't track if you put any pressure on it, and the belts are so small that they wear out almost instantly if you do manage to grind some metal with it. I made one or two pen knife sized blade with mine and threw it away.

So, my 'tip' would be to stick with the files for a while until you feel ready to spend at least $600 on a Grizzly or similar entry level machine. Others will tell you about 2x48 machines and various 4x36 things and all those can be crudely used, many knives made on them. But, the really good ones cost a fair piece of what a Griz 2x72 will cost and while the Griz is no Cadillac it is a turn key system with a ton of power. Probably half the makers I hear from have started with a Griz and continue to use them even after they get a much more expensive grinder (because one grinder is never enough) ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!