View Single Post
Old 06-14-2022, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJack View Post
I've seen some videos on induction heating and the one thing I've wondered is how far the induction current goes, particularly since you are standing in front of it.
Years ago, I first saw/played with one of these units a Tom Ferry's shop in WA. At that time, with that machine, you had to remove any rings, and in my case of wearing a fairly large Damascus belt buckle... I had to removed that too.

It appears all the is no longer necessary. I can work with the machine, with my wedding ring on, and the ring never got warm during forging those blades. Likewise no troubles with the belt buckle getting warm. So it appears that over time that issue has been resolved.

Right now I think this Induction forge is going to be just like other tools in the shop.... great for specific types of applications. I purchased a "blade edge coil", and am anxious to try it for differential heat treating. Otherwise its just the sheer convenience of the unit. Plug in the cooler, plug in the induction forge, and you're heating steel instantly. No 30-45 min wait for the propane forge to heat up, and then once the forge is heated up, more time for a workpiece to heat.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."