View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Skilled

I think that is a pretty good and sound philosophy. I'm somewhat obsessive-compulsive in that everything I do, I want to do really well. I can get hung up on a tiny scratch that 99 out of 100 people would never notice. It will just bug me.
But that's aesthetics, and performance wise, I believe we can get hung up on perfection and in so doing, take the joy out of the craft. Trying to push the envelope well past a reasonable performance parameter, to me, gets into the realm of unreasonableness. Again, 99 out of 100 people would never notice. There was a recent thread on here beating to death the "perfect" heat treatment of 1095, which was a good example of this. Several people suggested the OP was perhaps "overthinking" it a bit, as 1095 is not really difficult. This person would NOT be satisfied with the advice given him by people with tons of experience, he wanted verified FACTS. I realize pushing that envelope IS the fun for some people, and so I live and let live, and bowed out of that particular conversation. (As an aside, in the end he found his "facts" which were pretty much right on with the info he had already been provided.)

It seems in the knife world there is this conventional wisdom that a blade is considered "fine" if it will baton through firewood, shave the hair off your arm, and slice through paper. That always humors me.
Buy a camp ax, a razor, and some scissors if that is the need of the user, but it serves as a poor benchmark for measuring the quality of a knife IMO. (edit to add, yes the knives I have made to date will do that. Must be great knives!)

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 03-03-2016 at 09:15 AM.