View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 08:41 AM
Steel Addict

Jack -

I am fully aware of the difference between a Johnson and HKL, seeing I coined the HKL name in an article written a decade or more ago, well before anyone had addressed the subject.

http://www.rmkcollector.com/the-rand...tnote-part-iii

Not to revisit it as you stated, but it was known for years the main issue was as stated, for most collectors for whatever reason - maybe perceived ease of identification, or more likely they simply did not care (still don't) - sheaths with the RMK logo stamp were considered Johnson's. Bob Hunt and myself were suspect in the 1990's of the HKL sheaths being virtually identical to Heiser made sheaths, but the train of thought at the time even from some at the Randall shop was no one outside of Maurice Johnson ever had a stamp, hence the paradox, but obviously proved to be inaccurate

Interesting that many of the photos you posted are mine, including the first with the two #1 sheaths. You will note the stark difference between the shape of the sheaths, obviously cut using different dies. I have more photos, some that make you think a bit, but the issue at hand is Johnson's stamping of model and blade length.

I don't argue that there are examples (some shown in photos you posted) of his early sheaths sans stamping as the black #1. All I am saying is, I have seen both. What is the time frame difference relative to production? A few weeks? A couple of months? No one really knows. What we do know is Johnson made brown button sheaths for a relatively short time, perhaps 6 months or so.

A footnote to this is Wickersham incorrectly identifies these HKL sheaths as Stockman made in his book.