View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Jim,

I recognize the dilemma. First off, I don't think we are trying to define custom (hand made?) knifemaking for the entire world. But, there are some issues that have been brought up in this forum a number of times in which definitions can help. Some of these issues/questions have been:

When can I put my name on a knife?

When can I say that my knife is forged?

I didn't make the knife, but I put on the handle. Can I call it a custom knife?

I think that, a lot of times, these questions come from either the uninformed, or probably more likely, someone who wants to make and sell knives, but doesn't want to take the time to learn the entire process of knifemaking. They want to slap a handle on a purchased blade, and then call it "custom" so they can flip it for a few bucks profit. Take the forged knife question above. A forged knife has a certain mystique and history to it. If a person makes a stock removal knife, hammers on it a few times to ding it up, then sells it as forged, is that right?

Let's say that I buy an inexpensive Russell Green River blade for $9. I buff out the logo, install tiger maple handles, liner, and mosaic pins. I make a fitted sheath. I then put my name on the knife and sell it as my own for $140. Am I a custom knifemaker?