Thread: First Knives
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

This is the latest one I'm working on. Plunge lines are a little off kilter, so I think I'll be making a plunge guide this weekend. I tried to do more freehand grinding on this one versus a jig, and I think it worked out alright. I think belt sander is probably in my future, I'm still enjoying doing the file work by hand, but I also want to speed things up a bit more.

This one has a 3 1/2" handle and blade made from 1/8" 1085. I still need to drill some more holes in the handle, for both pins and to get rid of some weight. The plan is to use this as my main camp knife if things work out and heat treat goes smoothly. I'm a bit nervous because I've brought the bevel down probably a bit further than I should have. The last one I left way too thick and it was a bugger to fix after heat treating, so I was trying to avoid that. I'll just keep a very close eye on it while it's in the forge and cross my fingers.

Just so it doesn't get lost because of my long winded posts, I'm still looking for some opinions on filework that works well as jimping and not just decoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knife2 - Left.jpg (31.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Knife2 - Right.jpg (32.0 KB, 6 views)