View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Steel Addict

The smaller width belt grinders. Ha a better slack belt area for contouring and shaping. Not to say a 4" wide belt wouldn't be a good investment. A narrower belt gives more versatility. Which you will need for making a knife.

When it comes to forge building you can scale it down to fit your needs. I used an 8"x24" stove pipe lined with 2"s of insuwool giving me a 4"diameter by 20ish deep forge. Actually 3" ish once I put the hard brick floor in. Which for your needs is far too long. You can by shorter lengths of stove pipe, or cut it, seems 12-16" would be what you are looking for. A single 3/4" burner would get it plenty hot. There are plenty of plans for burners or you can even buy them full assembled. I went forced air because I was lucky enough to have a usable blower fall in my lap. But a Venturi burner is fine and requires less extra costs. Folding steel(forge welding) requires lots of heat. Not to sound like a broken record. But, ITC-100 is almost a requirement for this. And it will pay for itself in the propane you save.

Chris