View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 08:17 AM
Guru

I live in an apt and have my grinders mounted on a cart. Have to go outside which is often affected by the weather. I'm a bachelor and just walking into my livingroom shows it, work bench, my leather working station and so forth. I am going to build a pvc schedule 20 pipe cage that will be big enough to put the cart into to grind and move around inside. I am not tall so it doesn't have to be either. Figure the whole thing will weigh about 30 lbs. Mostly will be covered with clear plastic except where the sparks fly from my 2x48. my 1x42 throws all its sparks into the cart so no problem there. I will install some thin aluminum or steel where the 2x48 throws sparks with a water bucket and fire proof cloth on the floor. Easier to vacuum up an 8' by 8' area than dusting the whole doggone house or not grinding at all because it's too cold outside. I don't like grinding with gloves on.

I got this idea from a shop I worked in that had a dedicated grinding room. Had over a dozen grinders in there including a big 4 ft. wide belt sander that could flat grind a full sheet. Had huge fans exhausting through light filters to the outside. This could be modified to keep a large area like a basement or garage free of grinding dust. Build a small room that your grinder fits into and put a fan on it to pull the air through a set of filters or out of a window. Guys used to stand in the door of the shop grinding room to cool off in hot weather. Just a thought, doesn't have to be as big as mine as my cart is kind of big.

Here is a trick I learned to make my respirator fume filters last longer. Tape some paper towel over the filter and change often, it stops most of the airborne dust except the really fine stuff. I use tuberculosis dust masks my son gives me when not using synthetics, they are form fitting and stop even fine dust like from the belt's grit breaking down, metal dust actually settles out of the air quickly, it is the dust from the belt that goes all over the place and also cuts up your lungs microscopically in a process called silicosis.

Last edited by jimmontg; 01-31-2017 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Addition for others.