View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 02:46 AM

Nice knife! I can see why you're proud to be it's winner/owner. And the pictures are very good. They portray every aspect of the knife and sheath accurately, clearly and they're pleasing to look at as well. I had to really look at them for a while to come up with anything useful to suggest.

One thing to consider would be how to soften the shadows. Without the details concerning your lighting set-up, it's difficult to make specific suggestions. There is a great book that explains how to create and control shadows and more. It's called LIGHT - Science & Magic by Hunter, Biver and Fuqua (3rd edition). It's put out by Focal Press, is easy to read and understand.

The other thing might be how to compose the sheath and knife in a more typically pleasing manner. On this subject a picture is worth a thousand words and I'd simply refer you to the web-sites of this forum's moderators, Terrill Hoffman and Jim Cooper. A quick trip through their respective knife photo galleries will convince most folks that there is probably a 'best' way to arrange a folder and sheath like the ones you have shown here, plus maybe one or two reasonable alternatives. I won't spoil the discovery by attempting a description.

What camera/lens settings are you using? Tripod or hand-held? What's the intended use for your pictures - internet vs print? These are also useful areas to explore.

Nice knife and nice pictures, Mike. Thanks for sharing them here. I'm sure you'll get some good input from othes who cruise this forum.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper