View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Master

Ray- Thanks a lot for the information. I agree the handle shape is one of the biggest issues to overcome - how can it be comfortable right side up and upside down... The broomstick handle is an option, but I think you lose the grip necessary for cleaning an animal... I'm thinking about a 1/4 inch width at the cutting edge - I don't think the deer and hogs down here require much more. As far as integrating it with the blade shape, I'm still up in the air. I like the look of the droppionts I've seen with the hook, but I think you comprimise too much of the blade strengh near the point. Maybe a Nessy with a hook??

Cliff - No, he did not cut the rib cage - just went through the skin all the way down the belly. What did he accomplish? Well, I guess from my perspective he saved the refined edge of his knife from cutting through all of that hair and skin. It just made the process of skinning that much faster. I should add that we don't usually gut deers. You can quarter them and take the back straps without ever opening the body cavity. There's really no rib meat in the little deer down here. I should also note he uses the same skinnig method for hogs which have much tougher skin, alot more hair, and tons of dirt.

I think I will go with sharpening one side as you both suggested, and maybe just end up making a set like Paul Moore just posted in the Display Case. Thanks for the input!
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi