View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I like that BBQ thing and will probably use it first chance I get.

Nathan, don't be difficult. I wasn't asking for dictionary definition for 'individual', I was asking you to state that you meant 'the knife maker himself' when you included the word 'individual in your definition (if, in fact, that is what you meant).

I think I will change my definition to Nathan's wording except substituting 'customer' for 'individual'. My paragraph will state this defintion erquires some or all of the specifications to come from someone other than the knife maker. That will be the PRO argument. If you wish to, either of you, or anyone else who cares to join in, can write a CON argument in 50 words or less saying what you see as a weakness in this defintion.

Natahan can have his defintion exactly as he wrote it. and can write a PRO argument for it if he wishes stating the advantages of the word 'indivual'. I will write a COn saying that 'individual' can include the knife maker which then makes 'custom' refer to any knife the knife maker produces (unless Nathan uses that as his PRO argument!).

Andy's defintion will be included exactly as writes it (you might want to submit that again to be sure I have the most up to date version). Your PRO argument should explain why 'unique' is important. My CON argument will point out that this means a knife is only custom until a second one like it is made and then it becomes a prototype (if I remember your statement correctly).

This is the process (as close as I can manage) that state voting systems use
to describe issues prior to a vote. If there is a fairer way to do this it eludes me.

All 3 definitions go on the Poll with their PRO and CON arguments and the voters do what voters do.

Then, assuming for the moment that this actually works, with the process in place the rest of ths definitions should move along more smoothly ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!