View Single Post
Old 12-23-2003, 07:24 AM
Skilled

Yes Bear. What I meant by sprung is just that. When the spring has been overflexed and didn't go back to it's original shape. That will most likely result in stress cracks, usually near the mount hole in the center of the spring. As long as they're lengthwise it's no big deal. If they go across the width of the spring I'd cut out the whole center or not even use that spring at all.

As to the leaf you've had in the fire a dozen times..... I would say that you now have a mostly iron leaf spring. At the very least, it's probably one of the most relaxed pieces of steel I've heard of. All you can do is get it to non magnetic and quench it in warm oil to see if it still has any carbon left in it. It's likely to be a spongy mass of iron though in my opinion. The grain may have grown to the point of no return. Give it a quench test and see if it gets hard. Or just leave it right there in the fire and see how long it takes to burn completely up. It will probably be a waste of time to fool with it. But you'll never know unless you try.