View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast

I have to say that I finally found a definitive answer to my question on another forum by doing a very exact worded search!
Someone else had the same exact question regarding how do you know for sure the knife is actually up to temp in the few minutes in might take for the elect. kiln to rebound to set temp.

Two separate experienced guys did some extensive testing to determine actual knife temp readings using non-touch temp devises at various times and also only using the non-magnetic method....they concluded the following:

With high carbon hunter sized knives they found that on average the knife was up to temp in approx. 4 minutes after introducing it to the pre-heated stabilized elect kiln. They always let the elect. kiln stabilize first at set temp before putting knife in, which sometimes took up to 30 minutes which, of course, was dependent on the quality of their elect kiln and also that it just takes time for the bricks, etc. to get up to set temp and stabilize.
They did NOT start the actual soak time until the 4 minutes was up in order to be sure the entire knife was up to temp, even if their kiln reached the set temp in less than 4 minutes.

In conclusion: If my home made electric kiln can rebound to my set temp of 1475F in 4 minutes I should be just fine introducing my hunting sized 1095 knife to the "stabilized" 1475F kiln, wait 4 minutes and then do a 5 to 10 minute soak. As long as the blade does not get over 1500F all should be good.

I think using a stabilized kiln is important, as people here and elsewhere have stated.
Many of you told me that it takes approx. 3-4 minutes for your kiln to rebound but couldn't tell me FOR SURE if the knife was actually up to that temp, but now I know for sure that 4 minutes is enough time for the blade to be completely up to temp IN A WELL MADE "STABILZED" KILN.
My kiln will be well made, insulated and sealed and will be very comparable to a store bought unit. My controller is also of very high quality along with the TC.

Since the type of testing has already been done that I was going to do, I see no need to do it myself for verification and beat a dead horse.
At least I was not alone with my concern, although I am more than willing to admit my concern was somewhat ignorant and ultimately unnecessary. As I stated before, I would rather be safe than sorry and ere on the side of caution since I couldn't fine any definitive answer to my concern about the knife actually reaching full set temp in such a short rebound time......until now.

Thanks again to all for the great help, info, suggestions and much patience.
I do apologize for dragging this on so long.....but I am persistent!
Finally case closed!
DAVID