Thread: First Knives
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

First Knives

Hey Everybody,

I wanted to post a couple pictures of my first 2 knives - it sure seems like a lot of guys start by making two. Everything I've done has been by hand with the exception of drilling, I've used a hacksaw, some files, and a bit of blood and sweat.... more blood than sweat. They were heat treated in a BBQ forge my friend and I built and seem to skate a file, although I don't expect it to be high quality steel. Both were made from a file only because I didn't have any known steel to use. I've already got some 1084 on order for the next few.

The kiridashi style knife was more just a test bed to use for trying out different ways of filing, sanding and heat treating. That said, I've given it to a friend who works in a warehouse and he says it sees regular use daily and has been holding its edge with no breakage and the other one sits on my shelf. The second knife I made, I spent a bit more time refining. I actually went back after these pictures and ground off a bit more excess from the blade after I realized it couldn't slice an onion (it was sharp, but way too thick) and did a little better job of sanding.

I know that these aren't "finished" knives, and moving forward I do plan to put proper handles on the rest; this was just a way for me to learn a few of the quirks, before I tried making something pretty. Let me know what you guys think and post some pictures of your first knives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Both_Knives.jpg (396.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Knife-Nwrap.jpg (392.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Knife-Wwrap.jpg (401.4 KB, 38 views)