View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the replies guys... have bought some engineer's blue and a scriber and see how I get on with that.

Yeah normally with a full tang knife I don't worry about the knife not matching the template exactly but with folders the very small parts with slots / areas cut out for stop pins, half stops, locks etc they do need to be pretty precise or as close as so there is limited micro adjusting with a file or abrasives when putting all the parts together.

If the blue stuff doesn't work out I will try just using better glue like one of you suggested as I know the glue I currently use is very mild but is used to allow for easy removal but at the moment it's too easily removed and ok for parts that don't need heat treated as I don't have to worry about cooling those parts during grinding.... I do an awful lot of grinding as don't have a bandsaw capable of metal cutting.. I did buy a Dewalt portable metal cutting bandsaw and fabricated a table for it but the saw was totally gutless and the build quality was awful and at a cost of nearly $700 US I expected better results. (power tools in Northern Ireland are both severely limited in terms of choice and the prices are nearly double than what they are in North America for identical like for like tools). Anyways returned the DeWILT for a refund and will just have to save a bit longer for a bigger wood / metal capable saw as my current wood only bandsaw is a tiny 10" hobbyist model but was what I could afford at the time and has forced me into being creative on how to overcome it's severe limitations.

Anyway thanks again for the suggestions.