Thread: anodizing..
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 05:55 AM
Guru

I've only ever saw it in aerospace and I'm pretty sure was for the SR-71 and it was Ni S Pl, it could also have had trace elements, but they were not called out on the print and I didn't bother to look up the Mil-Spec. I have never seen it otherwise although I have used platinum rod to weld with and It wasn't soft, but was springy, guessing maybe it had manganese in it. It isn't a secret process welding steel to aluminum, just a time consuming and expensive process that I do not even know if they still use it with some of the super glues now available. It is actually a brazing of steel to aluminum, takes 5 metals, steel, straight no titanium aluminum bronze, bronze A rod, copper and platinum rod and a strip of same. Haven't done it since the early 80s.

Yes it was aerospace. Many processes and even materials I have hardly ever seen outside Defense aerospace. Tantalum being one, very corrosion resistant, can hold nitric acid and I think phosphoric acid tanks too, you know the stuff they put in soft drinks like coke. Prevents your body from absorbing calcium and leaches the calcium from your teeth. Lots of tantalum goes into satellites as did many other things.
Ever hear of MU metal?