View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 10:45 PM
Skilled

Thx for the very kind words Jim. It was certainly a challenge on how I was going to do this with the
30" and 36". What I basically did was draw the taper that I wanted, and took it down with 36 grit on my
1x30. Did the final flattening and taper on the 36" to 120 grit and then back to the 30" for the finish.

The hardest part was trying to incorporate a wheel to fit my 30". It didn't happen.
Now ... NO LAUGHING... I took my 36" and turned it upside down and backwards and mounted it so that
the top 3" wheel was facing me and running downwards. Built a spark catcher into a water bucket and
made my hollow grind.

I know that none of this is typical or even preached, but I was determined to make this KITH with Ray's specs.
One of these days I will build my 72" and look back and laugh at the craziness that I have done over the
last 3 years JUST to build a knife.

Oh, and yes, I have been using Tru-Grits belts for the last 2 years and love them. I have a great assortment
from them. Again, no laughing, but I also have the collection of Gators, Norax's, Klingspor, 3M micros, cermamics and
a bunch of AO's. My 30" is NOT optimal for this hobby but I got one of the baddest and most functional
variable speed 1x30's out there with over 50 knives off the bench.

Troy