View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 06:45 PM

Whetstone, am I doing it wrong?

Recently bough a new cheap knife. They always seem to have a very poor edge put onto the very leading edge of the knife. Something like the knife is very thin on the edge but they still put a tiny 45 deg angle on it.

I've bought a whetstone 1000/6000 grit and used it on one of my other knifes to change the angle of the edge. (Poor terminology here) Was a poor idea to use that fine of grit as I only got it about half way after 3 hours and giving up. But with that same stone I decided to use on my new knife.

I put the knife at a 20~ deg angle and started on one end of the stone with the base of the blade and slid to the other end of the whetstone, while also moving the tip of the blade. I did it a few times on each side, went to the 6000 after 10 or so passes on each side, maybe 10 more passes on each side on the 6000... The knife no longer cuts paper. It cut paper before, not the best, but it did. Now it takes some effort and the right spot of the blade.

I've noticed that the angle of the blade has changed slightly, but I didn't think this would dull the blade? Do I need to keep going or what am I doing wrong? The blade had something like a 30-45 deg angle on each side, I'm taking it down to 20~ to fit the blade better. It's a 8" chefs knife. Think it was 2.5mm thick at the spine, then tapers down to a pretty fine edge. I was thinking the sharpened edge should fit the edge better. (here's that poor terminology I have for knifes again)

Thanks,
Higgins909