View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 AM
Steel Addict

I had emailed Ed C about the difference between sharpening sharpening stainless blades and carbon blades about two years ago. Here is the reply he gave me on his approach on sharpening stainless......

When it comes to stainless blades, I start at a 220, and work my way through belts to a 1200. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I can get a scary sharp edge on a carbon steel knife every single time, and in short order, but EVERY single stainless blade I sharpen is an exercise in patience, and I can never get the same level of a quality edge on stainless as I can carbon. My best bud (Steve Kelly) and I often talk about this very thing.... he does pretty much all stainless, and he will flat tell you that you simply don't get as sharp, or as quality of edge on stainless that carbon offers.

I wanted to emphasis..... as I said, YOU are not doing anything wrong with the sharpening/stainless..... what you're discovering is why many makers simply don't like stainless. It makes everything throughout the entire "knife" process more difficult/less efficient, then carbon steel. I've always marveled (and just shake my head) when someone demands stainless steel..... compared to most forged carbon blades, the ONLY advantage I can see is the fact that the individual/owner doesn't have to care for a stainless blade (in the rust/tarnish dept). But, the problem is that being a "lazy" knife owner is so ingrained in many that they pale at the though of actually having to care for a knife.....so in order to keep those folks happy, the stainless will always be there.

I know that doesn't give you anything that solves your issues.....but it's not something that I can give you directions for, that will work every time, or solve the pain involved sharpening stainless.....honestly, I don't say this very often, but when it comes to sharpening stainless blades, I catch myself usually just giving up and saying "that's good enough".