Thread: Steel Ordering
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 PM
Guru

Just looked up where Polkton is. You're over on the other side of Charlotte. If you were up here in the mountains Mayfield community colleges have blacksmithing classes and even a knife forging class too. As mentioned above hammer control is something that is an absolute needed skill. I worked in a blacksmithing shop and was taught just how to whack the steel to move it where I wanted it. Even did cold forging of some smaller parts on an old worn out anvil.

About all I could tell you is when you are shaping the final bevels to your blades is to use lighter blows and when you hit the part is pull the hammer slightly towards yourself to get the right touch on your blade. It helps to stop the blade from trying to curl up on you. Hard to explain exactly, but it helps shape the bevels on your blade very well and makes less dings to have to grind out. I did blacksmithing before I ever forged a knife so I was ahead of the learning curve. Take a look at some of the local community colleges and see if they have blacksmithing classes. I know it isn't a common occurrence, but worth a look-see. Heck, you never know, but would be worth your time and money to take the classes.