View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
What kind of metal build experience do you have, because that looks pretty professional. We had some big belt sanders at work that didn't look as good or I might add as strong. The only advice I could add would be that the table it is sitting on looks kind of too weak for that size machine, but that's just what I see from the pictures. If that is a bolt together table make sure it doesn't vibrate loose. Great job for your first try. Looks like you took some drafting classes and got an A in engineering.
Jim,

Thank you for the compliments. My metal working experience has been trial and error, but I recently also learned how to use a lathe (thanks to MIT videos on youtube). We had to fire our machinist at work, so now I'm able to fill in when we need replacement parts for molds/machines.

The grinder frame is definitely over-built, but it does not vibrate at all. If I were paying for materials, I would probably have opted for a bit thinner material. As for the mounting platform; it is a bolt together rack from HomeDepot reinforced with 1/2" cherry plywood. This is a temporary mount, but the grinder is held in place by 4- M20 fasteners through 1 full inch of wood. I'm more afraid of it catching on fire than weakening haha.

No drafting classes or engineering under my belt. I really just enjoy making stuff. I haven't made much head-way with the water-jetted machine, but I'm still planning to make a few after things settle down at work... of course, turkey, trout, and morel seasons are here. Too much fun to be had all around. I've only ground out 4 knives on the new grinder, but I use it almost daily for other projects.

-Chris