View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 07:33 AM

At the risk of committing sacrilege...

I do not cryo because I don't have a cryo tank. I may never bother obtaining one.
My blades, like the ones Bob mentions, perform admirably without cryo. Therefore, I have no moral issues with making and proudly selling my knives even if (in theory) they are not as 'good' as I can make them in an academic sense (arguably).

I'm a hobby maker with limited funds for expensive equipment.
I am not making knives for astronauts or Navy SEALS (though I would if they ever called). I make knives meant to used like any pocket knife would be.

Some makers are driven by the challenge of wringing every bit of performance out of a piece of steel that it has to offer--they go to extreme lengths to achieve this. I am driven by making a useful object of beauty which performs well into the 'excellent' side of the bell curve. I focus a great deal on intelligent design and blade geometry.

As an aesthetics guy, I doubt I ever get into performance 'extremes', but I truly appreciate those makers who do, and I learn a great deal from them.

This is my knife journey, and I'm loving it!

Sorry to wax philosophical.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."