View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 12:39 AM
Steel Addict

Well, things haven't gone so well with this one. I was concerned about the edge holding on it and after some tests, head scratching, and phone conversations, I came up with a game plan. It couldn't stay the way it was, but the plan was a risky one. Didn't have much to lose, so I re-hardened it. Initially, I thought things may turn out. It was really thin and I pretty well thought I'd end up with a knife ruined out of the quench. It came out with some noticeable warp, but without a crinkly edge. I began working towards straightening and later caught a slight wave in a portion of the edge....

I decided to finish tempering and will get it sharpened back up to at least do some cutting tests. After all, that was the whole point of redoing this. I guess a useable knife would've just been icing on the cake. After seeing if the cutting goes well, I'll likely then break it to look at the innards. If nothing else, I want to at least learn every bit I can from this knife.

I've already got more with the same profile marked out on some more 15n20, so hopefully soon I'll be doing a better job on some similar blades... But, time will tell .

Jeremy