View Single Post
Old 12-20-2021, 08:03 AM

Heat Treat 1084 Questions

I have a set of 1084 blades that I created via stock removal, and am wondering if they need stress relief (normalization?) prior to heat treat or not. (I am using a kiln for Heat Treatment) I have heard many different opinions on this, and some insist stress relief is needed even from grinding bevels to stabilize grain structure. I plan on foil wrapping them to minimize carbonization, as my blade tolerances don't allow for much more steel to be removed following heat treat. To relieve stress, I follow a three step process of bringing the blade to critical temperature, letting it soak for five minutes, and cooling it in air as the blade color changes from red to black. I know 1084 is one of the easier steels to heat treat, and I have had success with it in the past. I am stuck on the "normalizing" or "stress relieving" steps which seem to be used synonymously by some. Or is that step necessary for 1084? Also, I have always placed my blades edge up during heat treat, and quench horizontally. Your experienced opinions would be much appreciated! Thanks for your help!