View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Jensen View Post
What you guys can do is come up with trials to put these blades through! I was thinking just off the top of my head:

Sharpness - see if it catches the fingernail, then if it cuts cardstock, then regular paper, then newspaper, then shave hair. I could also just measure the sharpness i.e. how many pounds of force it takes to severe a 3 ply linen string.

Edge retention - cut a bunch of wood or something. Something rough that dulls knives fast.

Toughness - batoning? Also part of edge retention? Maybe cut up brass rods (edge toughness)

Durability - bend that sucker till it breaks. I will try and record the angle it breaks at. 90 degrees is the goal I suppose.

I'm also going to set it up so its scored, and it'll be up to the maker if they want their score to be private or not.
I like the idea of testing how many pounds it takes to cut, it is measurable.

As for scoring, you could show all the knives with just an ID number, if the maker claims it then others will know who made it.

How about a recommended shape for the knife. It would be one more leveler in the field.

I am new to posting but have been lurking for some time. I am a leatherworker, have made a number of knives from production blanks. Have made a few from scratch, hardening/tempering is my weak link.

I am excited.

Aaron