View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Jerry, I've never used the stuff. I was curious when the original question was asked and looked around for some info. (I've never seen AEB-L for sale!) Came across the description on Engnath's site and copied it (along with appropriate credit!!), then found a manufacturer's composition. I don't know exactly what problems Engnath ran into, but if he mentioned it, there must be something to it.

It may be an air hardening that occurs during grinding. More than one knifemaker recommends using a good belt to grind D2, because it can harden on you if the belt is dull.

I see some tension forming about 440B and the composition of AEB-L. There are a lot of blades in the world made with 440B. Though it's certainly not the best knife steel, it works well in some applications. The composition of AEB-L would not seem to put it at the top of the stainless class, but the quality of manufacturing and the decent composition it has may very well make it a decent steel. The limited web search I conducted didn't turn up any negative comments on it. There is no 'perfect' steel for all applications.

Make some knifes and post 'em!!