View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 10:34 AM

I did build the dust collection unit. It consists of two tanks, one wet and one dry, the wet one being on the right. The tank contains 8L of water and a surface tension releasing liquid.There is a diffuser on the intake that creates a vortex that forces all the dust particles to the bottom of the tank. This should hopefully eliminate any hot sparks in the system. I did this purely as a safety feature.
There is a valve at the bottom of the tank which allows for daily draining and cleaning. A filler cap is incorporated in the top of the tank so filling it is easy.
Very little grit passes the hopper so the machine stays relatively clean.
The left dry tank was added to protect the vacuum pump from the water in the right tank. Other than a little moisture in the left tank, nothing accumulates there.
The vacuum pump was salvaged from an industrial carpet cleaning machine so it is a really heavy duty industrial unit and creates a lot of vacuum.
Two changes that I have to make. the first being replacing the plastic vacuum hose with a stainless steel one. The other, I have to lengthen the plate that supports the hopper. It is too short and thus the hopper too close to the work area which is a bit of an issue.

Don, thank you for the compliment. Coming from you means a lot!!