Thread: heat treat D2
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Enthusiast

Hay, it benefited you, and now it's benefiting others as well, so it's been put to good use!

My first "job" after graduating high school was repairing computers and other digital equipment for the US Navy. When I got out of the Navy in 78, I went to work for a company that started out being called Lear Incorporated, but after several transitions it was part of GE Aviation before I retired. I also went back to school in 78, but majored in math and minored in physics. Not a lot there to assist in my current hobbies!

I've been interested in making knives since I was a kid back in the mid 60s, and tried making a few throwing knives. Fortunately for me the old guy that lived across the street had been a lumberjack up in Alaska and enjoyed teaching his nephew and I anything we wanted to know including stick welding and woodworking. He let me use his shop and any scrap metal laying around. He also taught me how to sharpen any blade tools. He could sharpen an axe well enough to shave hair. That has proven useful quite a few times but also a bit of a pain in the butt, because a lot of friends and relatives ask me to sharpen their knives for them!

Anyway, thanks for all the useful info!