Thread: Induction forge
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Living Legend

For those of you that are not sure induction heats blades evenly watch the video. The steel is 1084 3/16" tapering down to a wire edge. I normalized it twice before the HT.

You can see there is no pitting or scale. The burnt oil on the edge wiped off clean and you can still see the wire edge that did not burn. You can see there is no pitting or scale. The burnt oil on the edge wiped off clean and you can still see the wire edge that did not burn.

Induction tends to heat the thickest part of the steel after CT which is perfect for blades. It would be very hard to burn the tip unless you intended to. Since the edge and tip have less density it heats slower. The exact opposite of convective heating.

This little 2.5" blade hit CT in 3 seconds and even after soaking for 30 seconds while moving it back and forth the wire edge did not burn off.

Another observation is I can feel small magnetic vibrations while the steel is heating and when it hits CT I feel the vibration stop. So it has a sort of a CT alarm, especially on smaller pieces. No need for a magnet, it is the magnet.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 09-07-2010 at 11:58 AM.