View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

Hydraulic Press

Dennis, presses don?t have to be physically big and take up a big footprint. This press is about 4 ? ft tall and 16 inches wide.
The 6-inch bore, 3 inch rod, 10 inch stroke cylinder is mounted on the bottom. There is a piece of high temperature silicon rubber that protects the cylinder rod from any scale getting either on it or near the rod seals. If you are concerned about scale landing on the hoses there are hose protectors made from Kevlar that are used in high temperature applications in steel mills that will slide over any exposed hoses.
There is ZERO movement on the press from any side loading. The rod is shimed in place by the die block and the cylinder has cross supports on the head end to prevent any movement.
The relief valve on this system is set at 3200 psi and on a 6-inch bore cylinder that equals 90,432 pound of force, 45 tons.
My only complaint was that when I designed the press and made the cylinder I had figured that 10 inches of stroke would be enough. So I took the cylinder tube and cut about 9 inches off. As you can see from the picture there is lots of room for the extra length and it would not have made the press any larger.

Last edited by Cal Ganshorn; 11-23-2010 at 10:15 AM.