View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 03:03 PM

Buckle up folks, here's Part III (RKS Memorabilia):

One of the neat things about collecting is the opportunity to find things which are related to your main collection area and are long out of production, one time offerings, or just difficult to obtain.

Over the twenty year span of the Randall Knife Society, Rhett and Janie offered members various items in addition to the club knives with which to dress up and enhance their collections.

One of the first of these memorabilia was a solid pewter belt buckle commemorating the original club name and logo: "THE RANDALL KNIFE SOCIETY OF AMERICA". The January 1992, Issue #13 of the RKS newsletter contained the following announcement:

" PEWTER BELT BUCKLE PROMOTION

A genuine solid pewter belt buckle is being offered to the RKSA membership. The buckle is pictured below actual size (3-1/2 inches long by 2-1/2 inches wide) and fits 1-3/4 inch wide leather. In keeping with the high standards of the craftsmanship of Randall Made Knives the highest grades of quality material have been used. Solid pewter as you know never tarnishes and never requires polishing.

This is a one time offering and will not be repeated. This should make this buckle a very collectible item. The total number of buckles produced will be the exact amount ordered by you. No extra buckles will be ordered. The order deadline for this buckle is February 21, 1992. A check for $19.95 must accompany your order. Canadian and International members insurance and postage rates will be higher (see order form). This only gives you a couple of weeks to get your orders in. The buckles will be shipped to you in May or June due to my being out of town on our heavy show schedule.

I, Rhett Stidham have shown this buckle to several members and all of the response has been favorable. The workmanship is of very high quality and the finish is beautiful. One member suggested that I offer the buckle for $35.00, but was surprised when I told him it would be offered at less than one half that price. The price will be $17.00 plus $2.95 shipping and handling for a total of $19.95. The buckle will have a nice flannel carrying bag and a gift box. You may also have your membership number on the back of the buckle at no extra charge. Membership number only please (no names)..."

I was fortunate to obtain two of these buckles on eBay several years ago. According to the April 1992 newsletter, Rhett stated that a total of 368 buckles were sold.

[IMG][/IMG]

These buckles are so solid, they might be bullet proof!

In late 1995 RKS members were offered this leather belt buckle crafted by Greg Gutcher, Randall's official sheathmaker.

Then in October 1996, Rhett offered this lighter coloured version which Greg created:

More interesting RKS memorabilia to come....

In the meantime, please feel free to contribute to this tribute.

Cheers!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 11-23-2011 at 06:12 PM.