Thread: Tap info
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 08:50 AM
Guru

Tap info

Hey Guys. so the question of the day. I need some info about taps. Oh all of this applies to taping TITANIUM. So with building flipper folders there at many holes that need to be drilled and taped. What I have been doing is using a tapered 2-56 tap. When they are new they are ok. But they dull quick and I have found my self breaking taps off in the hole. I have been getting better, I don't break anywhere near as much as I did a month ago. But its still a pain not only the cost of the taps but if I break one off now I have to let the whole thing sit in acid wich wont do anything to the titanium but will burn the taps out. But it takes time and is a pain. I saw a video of a guy that had a TAPMATIC and I think he used thread forming taps with it. The tap matic attaches to the drill press. However looking for this tapmatic they are expensive deffinitly more than I can spend at the moment. So I am wondering if anyone has found a way to either keep the taps from dulling as quick as they do or keeping them from breaking. Is there anyway to use a tap in a drill press or a mini mill with out the tapmatic? Or what would also help is has anyone found a quicker way to remove a broken tap from the hole without destroying the hole?