View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 10:47 PM
Guru

1095 has a learning curve apparently.

I had a hard time HT 1095 in a machine shop goater. Followed the instructions precisely and like you, I had mixed results. Because of that I never used it to make knives, I just stuck to O1 for high carbon steels. I might add we had a paint on product like Brownells, it was like milk of magnesia only thick, but the name escapes at the moment so decarb wasn't the problem, the problem is, as has been stated, it is a shallow hardening steel. If the Parks or other commercial quenchants are a bit too much for your budget use automatic transmission fluid, generic, many do and it is thin, low viscosity so it would quench fast. I always had a small box fan next to the quenching tank to pull any smoke away from me btw, a good thing no matter what oil you use.

Question, why mess with 1095 when you know O1 and 1084? Just experimenting?
1095 isn't going to make a better blade than O1 and as you said on another thread you buy O1 from Sheffield sheared from sheet, not that much more in price. Have you tried the so called 1084+ or 80CrV2? I haven't, but it looks intriguing to me and it is comparable in price to 1095. They didn't have it when I had access to a HT oven as I certainly would have given it a try. I haven't heard anything from any makers that used it, but would like too. (hint hint)