View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 11:59 AM
Skilled

My plan was not to do a through-tang, instead only run it part of the way through with a pin and epoxy holding the handle together. I don't have a welder or welding experience to attach threaded rod to the tang and I'm not confident that if I took a die to the tang that the threads on either the tang or the cap would be able to hold up under stress. I'm not as big a fan of coffin handled bowie's but would that be a better option since it's full tang?

I've never worked with O-1 although in the future I'd like to if I make more big knives. I probably shouldn't have called it a utility knife, more of a fighter/chopper is what I was thinking. I'm a fan of small knives because they seem to be far better for the vast majority of uses, I just wanted to branch out here and a bowie is something I've been thinking about for a long time.

I'm glad you suggested a false edge, I was already planning on it. As far as length goes, technically what I've drawn out is 9.5". Do you really think grinding an extra 1.5" would be that much extra work? Maybe I should step it down in size. I'm still in the planning stages so I'm open for changing the size if the difference would be significant.

I've linked the blade design below, I'd love your thoughts on it. If you're not comfortable with the gyazo link let me know and I'll just upload the image here.

https://gyazo.com/be1b3e4df2be8ef83a721cbc39218d25