View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Guru

WNC awesome job man! very very cool, I had always wanted to do a tomahawk but it always got pushed aside by other projects, As far as the 15n20 I have made Damascus 3 times so I am not a expert by a long shot the first time I used .065 the second .093 and the third .130 NJ STEEL has all 3 and a couple more sizes. Did I notice a difference YES but I don't think it was due to the steel, The first attempt I started off with enough steel to make 5 knives easy...it all disappeared to the point where I had enough for 1 and JUST barely at that I had to weld a threaded rod for the handle. So following advice from a few people here on the second time I tried adjusting the burner to change the atmosphere. It worked a lill I ended up with enough for 2 large knives (started with the same amount) The third time I did it with a blown burner that I made thinkin I could control the atmosphere better and yes it deffinitly worked only lost a lil, The third one came out really good no inclusions or anything like that (OR maybe I got lucky again not a expert at this stuff) Any way my point was I had used those 3 different thickness's of 15n20 from njsteel And I don't know if what ray said was true or not (probiily is he is correct most of the time) but what I can tell you is between those 3 sizes I didn't notice any difference as far as how they welded it all felt pretty much the same. And the etch came out looking the same on all 3 so it may not be 100% genuine but I didn't see any problem with it......The new burner is fun huh? Just wait till (and IF) you get a blown burner (forced air) they are even stronger I have one forge that I hooked up 2 blown burners to a few times....man what a site.....Ray you remember that missle I am building in the back yard....now you know how I am powering it LOL