View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Skilled

There are three discussions: in this line:

(1) Gen Hal Moore?s Randall and its fate; (

(2) Col Compton?s early fighter and his relationship with Bo Randall;

(3) the argument about Zach vs X knife.

Regarding #3, I won't mince words. I don?t know if I am ?smart enough to stay out of? anything. I don?t consider myself knowledgable about WWII early fighters. However, I believe I have proved that open mind, sharp-eyed analysis, experience in technical investigations, can add a perspective about many Randall age-issues without the observer regarding himself as an "expert."
On this site we have a lot more discussions and sharing of information about historical Randalls than elsewhere. It has been rewarding and very productive? I believe it created understanding about many things never before addressed by RMK collectors:

- Heiser-Johnson sheaths,
- Blade stamps,
- Escutcheon plate chronology,
- Coulee cap/ flanged butt cap chronology,
- Model 14 Viet era numbers & etching and teeth, guard shapes, overlay of Solingen/Orlando teeth/standard model etc,
- Delrin,
- White Tenite,
- Vintage Bowie characteristics,
- etc.

We have had these discussions without significant conflict, just cooperation. Joe, you are welcome to help us and obviously have a lot to offer ... IF ... you could just find a way not to be combative about your positions.

Nothing takes place in a vacuum. You single-handedly waged a scorched earth campaign over the Heiser-Johnson sheath issue elsewhere. Yet today, most of the vintage collectors including Gary Clintion etc., have adopted the sheath theses presented by me and Ron. I believe if you reflect you will acknowledge you are using tenants of our theses in your authentications.

However during the discussion on the other board, to support your public contra-position, you posted no arguments, no documented analysis, no examples with a discussion explaining your position. I only saw some random pictures of sheaths that you declared X or Y unfortunately accompanied with a lot of personally directed comments. One result of that scorched earth campaign was the banning of a number of people from that site. Another is some long-lasting residual resentment ... especially about the way it was personalized. That has probably carried over into this issue. Yet all the ill-will could have been avoided by a simple respectful ?I disagree??

I would enjoy your participation in our lines of discovery here. But I would not enjoy logging on and reading collective abuse....I hate that. I will add that Ron habitually presents his considerable knowledge and expertise in collaborative ways, which is why we were able to progress the sheath discovery step by step on this site (wouldn't have happened elsewhere). But I suspect he is carrying the unnecessary scars from what happened on the other site, as am I.

I believe the tone of our discussions in the future can be healthy and hope you reflect on this heartfelt set of comments. It would probably help if we all review our comments before hitting "post." And I am probably "not smart enough to stay out" of a fight ... but why is a fight over intellectual judgement necessary?

Peace and prosperity, live long and prosper.

(2) Col Compton?s knife: I have been asked to turn the entire line about Gen Moore/Col Compton and the search for truth about Hal Moore?s Randall into a published article. Of course that would be with permission from Steve and Dave Moore. If I do write this mystery up, I would want to discuss Col. Compton?s knife in a bit more detail. It seems to be a little unique and an early example. I would love to hear more opinions about it while I find out when he was stationed in Florida? if at all.

(3) Regarding the Westmoreland presentation knife to Col. Moore... I will make a separate post.

Ciao and peace.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-19-2017 at 02:18 PM.