View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 10:39 PM
Guru

Dtec

Dave; Note that PoolQs marked his tapered tang. When I make one I always deep scribe the lines into the edge of the steel, before HT, both sides, it is a must cuz after HT you need to put a sharpie pen mark on the side to see the line because you won't be able to scribe it deep and the sharpie ink comes off real easy. Unless you have a diamond tipped scriber which I do. With a solid scribe line doing a tapered tang is more about time than how hard to get it even. Just FYI. Also, don't try to freehand one, you need a square to the belt tool rest for a reference point. Nothing wrong with tooling cheats. If I tried to freehand one that would probably be the last one I ever did.

Message me if you need any help setting up that surface grinder to do tapers. I have angle blocks and a bunch of precision tools, now you don't really need them, but they do make some processes easier. I have adjustable matching angle blocks and for surface grinding? You'll wonder why you never got any before. Just one of those tools you never heard of and when you see it you'll go,"Oh Wow, why don't the knife supply places sell them?" Well they ain't cheap. They are also basically machinist's tools. Never saw a good machinist without a 4' wide by 6' tall roll-away tool box.lol

That James McClendon video gave me a great idea about my 2x48 belt grinder, thanx for the link Goater!