View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Guru

Dave on the variable speed for your KMG remember you may need a bigger motor as when the speed slows down the power to the motor goes down too. You have a 1 1/2 HP motor now so the pulley system at low speed you actually have more torque than at high speed. Just a heads up. If I convert my 1 HP 2x48 grinder to 2x72 I will use a 3 speed pulley system and power won't be an issue.

As for the presses I've talked to you about them before. I use the power hammers at the college near me when they have blacksmithing classes, I get forge time free because I trade teaching advanced TIG welding techniques. So for you to use a college class which is doubtful where you live it would cost you.

Buying thick S7 steel and HT for the dies, is that something you want to do? I say the S series of steels as they are shock absorbing and I know where you can buy the stock fairly cheap and $20 flat rate shipping. If you want to go this route there are plenty of industrial presses that could be used as well as the Uncle Al's Press, otherwise go with the claiborne. I know you can't have a power hammer as it is too loud for your living situation. Which is too bad as once you get good with them they are very fast. Also as Goater said, how much Damascus do you intend to make? I make a billet from time to time, but I only know a few patterns and if I make the billet too big I end up with half ladder and half random.lol

I did see a Youtube video where the guy used a rotary platen and he seemed happy with it, but I do remember wondering if it would leave a slightly convex grind. That's all I can say to that.

As for the disc grinder a 9" is minimum (Tru Grit has ceramic 9") with a 12" (only Zirconia and AO) being the best unless you want to spend the money for a 20" which I have used. They are very good for making flat grinds and they wear out fairly quick, but here's another option Dave, try a 6"x 48" grinder as they have a big flat platen too and do not wear out nearly as fast as a disc grinder does and Tru Grit has all the different types of abrasives for it. Also Dave there are some tricks to putting the discs on and off without a lot of trouble. If you don't know them you'll curse the machine.lol I would tell you what they are if you go that route.