View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I think it might be difficult to sell the idea that knife making is a profession to the world at large if our nomenclature ever came under scrutiny.

Fine, Nathan, we can put that defintion on the poll but you need to define individual first, just for the record. When these defintions go on the poll I want people to have all the infortaion they need to understand what they are voting on.

Same thing for Andy's defintion. If you want to include 'unique' then find a way to state the defintion so that it is clear that it means only one knife of that design can be considered custom if in fact that's the implication.

Andy, why does that knife made for your father's needs have to be called 'custom'? Why can't it be Custom Made or some other term not yet covered?

EDIT:

How about this: try to make the defintion as consise and to the point as possible. Then, write a short paragraph of about 50 words detailing why this definition should be preferred, i.e., high light what it does for the meaning of the word 'custom' that the other definitions don't. That paragraph will be included in the Poll to help voters understand what the differences are in the definitons and let the chips fall where they may....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 04-10-2007 at 08:08 PM.