View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson View Post
Thanks for showing, Andrew.

May I offer some critique?

I don't know how much experience you have, so I'm going to offer suggestions like I would to a beginner.

1. It appears to me you haven't left extra stock at the kick. You may have trouble setting the blade closed position. Your design warns you to do that very thing. And my WIP.

2. I would never profile anything except the blades and inside of the springs until all the mating parts are fitted. If you rely on the patterns for the hole locations the parts probably won't fit together properly. You simply can't work accurately enough.

If you go back thru my recent WIP, you'll see that none of the parts are profiled until after the first assembly with all 3 pins in place.

I hope this doesn't upset you. We all learn from constructive criticism. Me too.
I appreciate the critique/advice Don. I am a beginner as far as slip joints go. While I have made several fixed blades by now, this is my absolute first attempt at a slipjoint. I guess I just misunderstood how accurate the plans were. I mean, I haven't taken anything past the lines yet, though in several places I have gone right up to them.
If I have to reprofile some blades and liners, that's no problem. I've got plenty of extra blade and liner material right now. So don't worry... I'm not upset at all!

I suppose I just need to pay closer attention!

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
Check it out and Subscribe!

Last edited by ARCustomKnives; 05-03-2011 at 02:14 PM.