View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Skilled

I have received the hard copies of the Sentinel issue and will be mailing them out this week. Here is something interesting...

The issue has gone everywhere and has been very well received. I have mentioned and shown picture of Dr. Lonny Holmes, editor of The Sentinel, retired heart surgeon at Univ. of Southern California Hospital, 44 months in combat Special Forces, SE Asia, Thailand and Vietnam. John Stryker (Tilt) Meyer is now president of the Special Forces chapter and is a MACVsog veteran of Vietnam and a published author. Joe Galloway is a highly decorated reporter from numerous wars, especially Vietnam, co-author of We Were Soldiers Once... and Young.

Mr. Galloway was prominently featured in episode 3 of the new communist propaganda series "Vietnam" by Ken Burns et. al. (This series is so one-sided and so erroneous, at least in its military coverage, it is embarrassing and upsetting. One would think the US Army was just committing atroicities, being ambushed and dying accomplishing nothing. It is a travesty... End editorial...)

Tilt Meyer traveled to meet Joe Galloway to be interviewed about events in Vietnam. He also gave Mr. Galloway a copy of the Sentinel with the Hal Moore article. Below is the E-mail Galloway sent to Tilt about the article. It should be of interest as he talks about his personal regard for a Randall knife.

Date: September 22, 2017 12:15:22 PM PDT
To: John Meyer
Subject: Got mail
Reply-To: Joseph Galloway

John:

Your mail parcel arrived safely. Read the article about Hal Moore and his Randall knife with great interest. Sorry he lost it in that move from Korea. If I remember Korea correctly he is lucky he got ANYTHING from his household when he landed at Fort Ord Calif. Those slicky boys could and did steal entire TRAINS AND DOZENS OF FREIGHT CARS loaded with USA goods.

I always lusted after a Randall knife but never had the bucks needed to buy one and never had an opportunity to steal one. I still don't have the bucks to buy one as I see them advertised for sale at $650 and UP these days. Maybe someone will die and leave me his.

Anyway. Thanks for the newsletters. I whiled away a pleasant hour or so reading and rereading the Hal Moore knife piece.

Ref travelling back to San Diego to speak to your chapter: not any time soon. I am on road till mid-November. We shall revisit this invite in FEB or MARCH when the cold winds are blowing here in the North Carolina Piedmont.

Thank you for a fascinating interview. Worth it all for your story of that upside down helo extraction in Laos!!!

Best

Joe Galloway

On another note only marginally related to this post, Lonny Holmes is going to the White House next month. A medic on his A-team in Vietnam, close friend (Lonny was best man in wedding) is getting a DSC awarded in Vietnam, upgraded to the Medal of Honor. It will be presented by President Trump and Lonny will be in attendance. I'll post the pictures when received for those interested.

Last edited by Jacknola; 09-25-2017 at 10:37 AM.