View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the comments and advice.
As for the belts, I feel somewhat embarrassed now. Prior to the ceramic belts I was using economy belts one step above AO, and I got 10+ blades out of them all (yikes!). I suppose that's where I may have been picking up some of the difficulties.
However I did my first hollow on a 36 grit that had seen 10+ roughing and beveling procedures, and several files getting safe edges. It still worked out?! At least to my expectations. I just find it easier to control my grind lines and edge cutting edge dimensions with the hollow grind. Moving the hollow up and down the blade is much simpler for me than flat grinding.
My setup is terrible. I'm using a 10" caster wheel, and it terribly out of round and not balanced. I have decided on a procedure to help fix the out of round issue, that I think will work. If not I'm not out much. However in combination with the new belts, and an improved stance, and tool height, I'm really liking the hollow grind. I need to do more research on edge geometry combined with bevel geometry, as it applies to application and such to make sure I'm applying the appropriate geometry for its intended use.
Given all that it's nice to have anther tool in the box so to speak.
Thanks again for all the advice.