View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Wade,

You are correct, IMO, that it takes just as much skill to use a computer to design and cut out a blade as it does to do it by hand (with or without a power saw). The problem is that using a computer is a vastly different skill. Keeping the accounting records for a business can be done by hand in ledgers or it can be done on a computer. Just because you may be able to do it on a computer does not necessarily mean you have the skill to do it with ledgers. Of course, you get to choose how you make knives but in my mind using computers misses the whole point of what we're about in these forums.

Alan L,

That we don't need any definitions was advanced early on, and quite strongly too. Perhaps computer programming, plumbing, electricians, and snipers don't need definitions either but they have them. We have them too, but they were loose and unfocused. We tried to tighten up that situation and were fairly successful, I think.

Michael Atkins,

Personally, I couldn't agree more on your definition of Custom and said so at the beginning of this project. Eventually, the consensus was that the proper English definition of 'custom' didn't adequately cover the traditional usage in the world of knife making. Since our goal wasn't to re-define these terms but simply to formalize them we could not ignore the way the term has been used over the last 30 years. We moved mountains getting to these definitions (they are the result of many arguments and deliberations). Use them or not as you choose but they are deeper and more thorough and more well thought out than they may at first appear. But, nothing is perfect.

I really like 'unplugged' ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!