View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Skilled

I posted this on Steve's other thread, but it only cost a dime more to post it here also.......

Steve:

I think the whole key to color balance is "resetting" the camera, regardless of the type lights used.

We all know that incandescent bulbs give a "yellowish, or gold" tint on any point-and-shoot film camera. That is because standard film is designed for "daylight", which is somewhere around 5500 degrees kelvin. That is also why camera flashes, most of which , I think, use xenon gas, are color balanced to around 5500k. (artificial sunlight)

That is also why, with film and no flash, you get a different color variation in early morning light, versus mid-day light, versus late afternoon light. Color film has a certain bit of latitude built in with regard to f-stops. It is more forgiving for an overexposed shot (anywhere from 1 to 4 f-stops), but is not very tolerant of underexposed shots (usually anything over 1 f-stop of under exposure, and you loose the shot)

Flourescent, on the other hand will give a bluish, or greenish hue when exposed to film.

Anyway, enough ramblings on film.............. I ran a studio in a past life.........that was before this new-fangled digital stuff.

HOWEVER.................If you have a digital that will allow you to adjust the "white" balance, and you do this with a white piece of paper, even under incandescent bulbs, I suspect that the camera thinks that it is "true" daylight spectrum it is reading.

I may be wrong, but again, I think the key is setting the camera's white balance, or color balance reglardless of the light source.

Robert