View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I think there's a lot of confusion on this issue, and more so on this thread. However an individual wishes to describe it, there are two completely different things being discussed here..... and they are different.

"Grain" is just that, the aspect of the steel that is affected by temp and time.

"Grain Flow" is established at the mill/production facility through the rolling process, and in any given piece of steel, more or less remains in it's as rolled state, unless changed through forging. The images presented by the OP are accurate.

As it applies to knives, I'm sure there will always be a debate around the "Grain flow". I think it's up to each individual who is interested to make comparisons and draw their own conclusions.
That being said, there is data/"proof" out there to conclude that forged parts often exceed the strength and durability of stock removal made counterparts.. you will find a lot of the data in the performance automotive world.

Everyone comes at any issue through the lens of their own experiences, but I have to smile whenever I hear or read that someone whats "proof" of something as it relates to knives. If an individual is genuinely interested in "proof", one way or the other, then it's time to get a little dirty, and do some experimenting.

We seem to live in a time of wanting "proof" of whatever, but we want someone else to do the proving. As I often tell my students.... Take everything with a grain of salt, until you prove, or disprove it for yourself. Most never will/do, which just perpetuates "the court of popular opinion". Concerning this particular issue, I've done my own "proving", and that is what I recommend others, who are interested, do.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 02-11-2017 at 01:35 PM.