View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

I've been doing some additional research regarding 1095 possible grain growth during HT.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I found a past statement by Kevin Cashen bladesmith that refers to 1095 and grain growth.
I believe he stated that there is no grain growth with 1095 until 1525F or more and that we shouldn't worry about grain growth during somewhat extended periods of time at lower temperatures!
If that is the case, then it really shouldn't matter if I put a room temp 1095 blade in a cold elect. kiln and heat it up to 1475F at a slower rate and then soak it at 1475F for about 10 minutes. I would only want to do it this way in order to BE SURE that my blade is at 1475F BEFORE the 10 minute soak.

I am now not sure which method (preheat kiln or not) to use and which may be best and easiest in order to MAKE SURE my blade is at 1475F BEFORE soaking for 10 minutes!

I DON'T want to offend anyone, I just want to do what's best to achieve the best results consistently for 1095. The same holds true for the 1095 quenching method. As I stated earlier, I realize different techniques can come into play with heat treating and what works for one person may not work that well for another due to many variables. But.......there must be a general consensus regarding preheating the electric kiln or not before putting the 1095 blade in. And a basic consensus on quenching method when quenching 1095 in Canola oil, even if it isn't the best quench oil.

It might be easier said (asked) than actually getting a general consensus on these two things.
I'll wait and see what develops and who else might feel like chiming in here!
I still want to thank you, Stuart, for all your info and help and telling me what works for you.....I really do appreciate it.
DAVID