View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armory414
.......Are we trying to define a term that has already been defined, and the definition disgarded by "today's knife world?" If so, do we need to define it in modern terms?
My opinion is that this should indeed be the purpose of the exercise. The existing definitons are fractured and mean different things to different people. IMO, the point is to first determine what definitons need to exist to properly describe the field, then agree on a new lexicon that can be employed into the future. The hope is that with proper construction and internal logic it would gradually find extended usage. In the best of all possible worlds it would be so precise and broadly applicable it would create its own impetus.

The mere fact that "custom" has such a fuzzy definiton is a good argument for tightening the range up rather than make it more inclusive. Better specificity is needed in a more complex environment. That is why I am willing to discriminate between 'custom" and "custom made".

IMO, it will be necessary to cast off preconception and rather than try and include everything everyone thinks "custom" should mean, it serves this project better to try and operate from the standpoint, "No, we are going to get used to it only meaning this".

This is what I communicated to Ray in my email. I also said I am not up to the strain of the debate. I would like to, but it's not in my best health interests. That's my $.02 worth and I will now shut up.

Good luck. I shall watch the developments here with great interest, because I think it's time has come.

Last edited by fitzo; 04-10-2007 at 12:14 AM.