View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Hi all!

Welcome to Part V:

In the summer of 1996, Rhett, with the encouragement of Rick Bowles, decided to modernize the RKS logo. Rick designed the new logo which is depicted below in the form of a large jacket patch. A smaller patch was also made available to members and I'm sure these will become quite collectible.

During the few years prior to Rhett's passing, both he and Janie were very preoccupied with his medical problems. Nevertheless, they still devoted as much time as they could to the running of the RKS. It's a testament to Rhett's loyalty to the membership that he continued to create the quarterly newsletters and stay in touch with the world of Randalls and other knives that he loved.

To celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the RKS, one of Rhett and Janie's closest friends decided to surprise the pair with very special commemorative items. Without their knowledge, Rick Bowles designed a very neat and high quality brass badge (serial numbered) and coin. Imagine Rhett and Janie's surprise when they were first presented with a set!!! Fast acting RKS members were able to purchase these limited badges and coins virtually at cost.

Here's my badge!

Here are excellent photos of both sides of the coin taken by fellow KN member "lunde".

Rick had asked Rhett to send him some of photographs of himself and Janie, without telling him why he wanted them. Unbeknownst to Rhett, Rick or me, Rick picked the photo on which the coin image was based. I still remain extremely flattered that a photo of Rhett and Janie which I took at the 2005 Blade Show was the one chosen by Rick! Thus the coin will always have an even more special meaning for me. You can see the original image at the start of this thread.

When Rhett set up his new online Randall forum in the fall of 2005, I was one of the first to join. Early on I won one of Rhett's contests on that forum, and as a prize I received this very cool momento:

It suits me, don't you think?

This is the last instalment of my tribute to Rhett, Janie and the Randall Knife Society. I will always have fond memories of all three.

It's been fun putting this history together and I hope you found it informative and enjoyable.

Cheers!

David