View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 07:18 PM
Guru

Damon you're right on colleges that have forge classes.

I live in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mtns and that may have something to do with it why my local CC has the Smithy classes. They do not have the classes all the time though. But it's worth a look-see if he lives in an area that may have them. A quick Google search may show a bladesmith who gives classes near you Farley. I know some of our Moderators do. It would take you a long way if you had a class by one, There are others and hands on teaching really gives a better "feel" than a video does which is the next best thing.

As for making Damascus in a small forge by hand without a power hammer or press it is doable, but get a good 5 lb. long handled hammer. Then figure out how big you want your finished knife and then put 5 times that amount of steel together, yes you lose that much.

I put in that link for the 2x42 grinder because you want to keep the whole price under $500, I just bought a 2x48 with a 3/4 HP motor for $230. The reason you want a 2" wide belt is because it is wide enough to sand your handle scales flat and with J Flex belts it does contours fairly easy. I told you to get the 2x42 because it will take 1x42 belts and they can't be beat for sanding contours. The little 6" disc isn't any good for grinding blades, but is good for sanding angles with the little miter gage that come with it. I presently have a 1x42 Delta with an 8" disc and I use that for flattening handles. I live in an apt and have my grinder on a cart to take outside, soon I will have a 2x48 grinder, so I'll take the drill press off the cart and mount the 2x48 onto it. It is a heavy duty cart to be sure. I do not have room for a 2x72 so I make do with what I have. I am not allowed a forge, no compressed flammables.

I have a 220v plug that needs a heat treating oven, but I do not have the money for one right now. One of the things about knife making is you may be surprised by liking some other facet of the craft. I've found I really like doing leather work and have kind of branched off into leatherworking too and have made some extra money at that.