View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Guru

I use Chicago screws with leather as well, especially if I want the sheath to be able to be strapped onto something other than the belt loop, like to one's calf, forearm or gear. My son likes his Blackie Collins folder I gave him on his left pack strap for instance when mountaineering. It helps to sell a knife with options for carrying it.

I know about kydex, wood and will also use nylon canvas as well, but there is just something about leather. I'm getting better at it and carving or tooling it has become an artistic endeavor for me as well. One thing is certain though, functionality exceeds everything else. I made a wooden sheath for a tanto for my daughter to carry with her when she did home health care and nobody ever guessed what she was carrying as the knife handle and sheath were a perfect match. Ironwood Vee guard matched the Vee shaped top of the sheath. It sat right at the front of her medical kit bag and looked like a decoration. Functionality in action and a woman who was taught to fight and not give up. Trouble for some ne'er do well.

Last edited by jimmontg; 01-09-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Addition, clarification